Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Name Is Sarah and I am Left-Handed

Yesterday Dylan and I were discussing going golfing together. He loves to golf and I have never been but I would love to go with him. He asked me if I would golf left-handed or right-handed. I thought back to my miniature golf days and remember that I am a right-handed golfer. This led into the discussion of how weird I am.
I am left handed but, I play most sports right handed, cut with scissors right handed (because my Kindergarten teacher wouldn't let me be left-handed), and a few other things right handed, but for the most part I am left handed. I have a hard time giving directions because I get my left and rights mixed up, I had terrible handwriting forever until I forced myself to perfect my penmanship.
I found that at the alternative middle school I taught at, a majority of my students were left-handed and a quite a few teachers were too. I thought that this was very interesting.

Left-handed people do think differently than right-handed people, and we are a little lost in the right-handed world. So, to all you lefty's out there I feel your pain of being misunderstood, and not being able to use a right-handed water fountain or right-handed desk.
If your left handed or love a lefty give a shout out to left-handedness today. We are not weird!!! We are special and unique!!!! We are needed. Left-handers blog with interesting info


5 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

I have 1 left handed brother and my father is left handed. One of my other brothers is right handed but golfs and plays baseball left. T's best friend pitches and hits left. Ty and Park would love to bat left and they practice all the time! In the sports world left is talented and preferred! You go girl!

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

you described my left-handedness to a t. write and bat left hand. scissor, throw and catch with right.

i think it makes us more creative, at least thats what i'm going with.

Sarah said...

that must be why I love your blog so much

Gary Church said...

My grandma is left handed and she uses scissors with her right hand because they didn't have left handed scissors back then. I never thought about the right handed desks, but I have thought about windshield wipers, blinkers, and gear shifts ... it would be weird for me if they were reversed, but maybe that's just because I've only known them the other way. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

kira lee said...

i don't know how it happens--but every week i go in to sunday school and get stuck sitting in a left handed desk. it is really annoying trying to adjust, that must be what it is like for you everyday!!!

WOOT. WOOT. 7 days!!!!