Saturday, December 11, 2010

We Are So Blessed To Live In This Country!


Next week in U.S. History, we are exploring how the colonial grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence were addressed by the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. As I have prepared for this lesson, I have come to a greater realization of what our lives could be like today, had our Founding Fathers not addressed these issues.


When I woke up this morning and read the verdict of the Elizabeth Smart case in my Google news and the transcript of the news conference of the jurors , my mind immediately went to what we've been discussing in history. As I read the transcript I couldn't help but feel gratitude for our court system and the civic virtue that most Americans exhibit. I feel so blessed to live in this country.


Now, more than ever in my life have I heard and witnessed so much cynicism regarding our country and political system. It is very disheartening to me. I think many of us have lost sight of what is really precious. There is no country I would rather live in. Things are not perfect in our country. I'll be the first to admit that, but is there somewhere else that is perfect? Is there somewhere else that is better?


I'm tired of the complaining. I'm tired of political parties that are pitted against each other and at each others throats constantly. It makes me feel hopeless.


Reading that transcript this morning gave me hope. Regular ordinary Americans from different, political parties, religious and ethnic backgrounds, coming together to interpret the law and participate in our political system.


This is what our country about-- each person personally taking responsibility for ensuring rights and freedoms of not only themselves but others.


We are so blessed to live in this country-- don't forget it!!!!




1 comment:

The Moose said...

Maybe I should come to your class. I have a TERRIBLE memory for facts and dates and there is so much about our history that I do not know. I LOVE that you're excited about the topics, because that means the kids have a greater chance of feeding off of you AND recalling that information years down the road. You rock Sarah!